Baptist Health Paducah's Respiratory Care Services department provides care to people with breathing problems caused by injury or disease. The department also offers services to skilled nursing facilities and pulmonary screenings for businesses.
Services for Patients
For most people, breathing is second nature. But for those who suffer from breathing problems caused by injury or illnesses such as asthma, emphysema and bronchitis, each breath can be a major accomplishment.
Baptist Health Paducah's Respiratory Care Services department offers inpatient and outpatient services to help diagnose and treat breathing disorders and help you breathe easier. Staffed around the clock by registered and certified respiratory therapists and technicians, the department provides a broad range of services, including:
- Sputum induction, to produce a mucous sample for laboratory testing;
- Pulse oximetry, to determine if your body is getting enough oxygen;
- Blood gas analysis, to determine levels of oxygen, carbon dioxide and other gasses in the blood;
- Peak flow meter, to measure how fast air comes out of your lungs; and
- Simple spirometry testing, to measure the volume of air in your lungs and your ability to move air in and out.
- Oxygen therapy;
- Aerosol therapy, to deliver medication to your lungs through a fine mist as you inhale;
- Inhalers, which deliver a pre-measured dose of medicine into your lungs;
- Intermittent Positive Pressure Breathing (IPPB), a type of breathing treatment which delivers medication to your lungs and helps you take deep breaths;
- Chest physical therapy (CPT), to loosen mucous in your lungs and allow you to cough productively;
- Incentive spirometry, a deep breathing exercise to prevent lung problems after surgery;
- Ventilators, which support the basic function of the lungs and are used to temporarily assist a patient who is having trouble breathing; and
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program, which uses a combination of education and exercise to help people suffering from chronic lung problems such as COPD, asthma and lung transplants breathe easier.
Baptist Health Paducah's Infection Control Department is responsible for preventing and controlling the spread of nosocomial infections in patients receiving respiratory care services.
Baptist Health Paducah also provides respiratory care services and personnel to subacute care facilities in the Paducah area through the Subacute Respiratory Care Services Program and cost-effective pulmonary screening services to the Paducah area business community through the Pulmonary Screening Services Program.
Registering for Respiratory Care Services
Baptist Health Paducah's Express Check program makes registering for outpatient respiratory care services fast and easy. To take advantage of the program, follow these simple steps:
- As soon as your physician schedules you for respiratory care services, phone pre-registration at (270) 575-2979. Pre-registration clerks are available 24 hours a day seven days a week to take your phone call.
- Be ready to provide the registration clerk with the following information:
- your medical record number, if you are familiar with it and you have registered at Baptist Health Paducah before;
- your date of birth;
- your social security number;
- your home address;
- the specific tests or procedures the physician has ordered; and
- your insurance card.
- If the clerk is able to complete your paperwork in this phone call, he or she will tell you that you are eligible for Express Check.
- When you prepare to come to the hospital, make sure you bring your physician orders and your insurance card with you.
- When you arrive at Baptist Health Paducah, proceed directly to the Express Check receptionist, who will copy your insurance card, have you sign a consent form and send you to Respiratory Care.
You also may pre-register online by clicking here.
If you do not take advantage of the Express Check program, plan to arrive at the hospital 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment time to complete the registration process.
For More Information
Baptist Health Paducah's Infection Control Department is responsible for preventing and controlling the spread of nosocomial infections in hospitalized patients.
For more information about Respiratory Care Services at Baptist Health Paducah, phone (270) 575-2172.